Elapsed Time

How many of you are currently teaching elapsed time to your students and are getting blank faces as you pour your heart out to teach this standard?  Well, my students were struggling with elapsed time tremendously.  I had my students make their own clocks, work with a partner to place the correct numbers on their clocks and even introduced counting by fives while jumping like a frog to learn the elapsed time.  None of those strategies worked.  

I introduced finding the elapsed time on a number line and chart and my students faces began to light up as these strategies worked for them.  I worked on using a number line and chart for a few days. They practiced after I modeled the two strategies for them on their own practice pages. 

Then, I had them find the elapsed time with a partner on a partner sheet.  They absolutely lit up when they had to work with a partner.  The rule was that they can only use one paper and one pencil. 
While the other student was working they had to look on and either cheer on or provide assistance to their partner.  When they were all done they had to give a cheer to let me know that they were finished.  This was a great lesson.  I felt really proud of my students because they put forth a lot of effort on this lesson and finally got it!  You can click here for the activities I used with my students.

No comments

Back to Top